Friday, November 25, 2011

Black Friday? No thanks, I like blue

It's "Black Friday" throughout the United States and everyone is out shopping till they drop. Today, the day after Thanksgiving, is the big day retailers eagerly await all year. Today red ink turns to black as retailers will begin to show the year's real profit.

Yesterday my neighborhood stores were opening (on Thanksgiving day!) as the big bird was still in the oven. Big box stores and little boxes, too, decided to get a jump start on the masses looking for bargains. I'm not sure what this says about our culture. Is bargain-hunting taking priority over this most special of traditional family days?

I think Thanksgiving Day is a great opportunity to give thanks in community service by helping out with meals in shelters, hospitals, and assisted living centers so everyone participates in Thanksgiving. Those residents and patients will not be out shopping.


A top news story today was about a Walmart shopper who used pepper spray injuring some twenty other shoppers last evening. Her reason, to get in front of everyone else to get an electronic game. Police are on her trail. http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5gnP4lNWq7GNim9MPpqvajINVGVZw?docId=1054bb0d4514486298f6d82bdcf18881

So what are you, as an online artist, doing about Black Friday? Are you making deep discounts for this day; for the entire holiday sales season on your sites? I noticed many promotions on the Etsy site for most shops, but not so much for art. I decided to offer some small paintings for this period, rather than reduce pricing. If a customer needs a discount to purchase art, they should ask for it and explain why the piece is worth less. If all art is discounted, your work is then worth less as well.


Black Friday? No thanks, I like blue.
I have opted out of the Black Friday madness for the most part. I may run down to Michael's with a 40% off coupon in-hand this afternoon, but I do that almost every week of the year. I don't join the department store crowds looking for a discount sweater or toy, and I don't discount my art.  

Today is a day to relax and enjoy the season. I spent my morning watching children playing on the beach and sailboats, and fishing boats in the channel. No black or red coloring my thoughts.

What are your thoughts?  Your comments are welcome.

All the best,

Gail Kent
Gail Kent Studios

Find me or my work at the following addresses:
Gail-Kent.artistwebsites.com 
 Twitter -  Twitter.com/@Gail_Kent,  and Facebook -  www.facebook.com/GailKentStudio
www.etsy.com/people/gailkentstudio
https://sites.google.com/site/gailkentstudios (in process)



No comments:

Post a Comment