Friday, March 9, 2012

Rock of Los Angeles

Heading for  Los Angeles
The L A Rock 

 A 340-ton rock, Michael Heizer’s Levitated/Slot Mass, an internationally anticipated installation at the Los Angeles County Museum of Art.
Rock Price:  ~ $120,000
Transport Price: ~ $1.5-million
Installation Costs: Who Knows?
Tom Wolf's The Painted Word: PRICELESS!






I have to say, this leaves me speechless. 
Los Angeles is in a deep, really deep, recession, isn't it?

I've visited countless museums with only Israel's Yad Vashem having a rock installation--not in any way a comparison with LA's new boulder. A wiki link if you're interested a photo from Yad Vashem

I'll have to revisit this art installation and the artist's bio when my head clears.

On the Trail in North Carolina
No stranger to rocks and boulders, but never a sculptor, perhaps I'm just missing something with The Rock installation in Los Angeles. A nature lover since my forays into trails and pathways and my own cave as a grade school girl, I certainly appreciate rocks and cliffs and boulders and even pebbles. I even wear stone creations that I hand craft, admiring their natural colors, ancient striations and the feel of the materials.

Maybe I'll write a post update later about how wonderful and wise an idea this decision was for Los Angeles County during dire economic conditions. For now, I just don't get it.



Comments are always encouraged.
If you're following interesting blogs, feel free to comment or post those links here, too. 

All the best,

Gail Kent
Gail Kent Studio

Find me or my work at the following addresses:
Gail-Kent.artistwebsites.com 
 Twitter -  Twitter.com/@Gail_Kent,  and Facebook -  www.facebook.com/GailKentStudio
www.etsy.com/people/gailkentstudio
https://sites.google.com/site/gailkentstudios


No comments:

Post a Comment